Monday, September 19, 2005

Gulp!

Well, I may be heading back to Fort Smith sooner than I previously thought. Instead of never, it'll be this weekend. I got a call from my grandmother and she reminded me that my grandfather's birthday is this weekend. From her answer to the question "How's he doing?"...this might be his last.

It's been a few months since I saw him. It was my cousin's wedding. He didn't look so hot back then. That was just after he got news about a relapse. According to my grandmother, the chemo hasn't been easy on him. He's weak and in constant pain. It was hard to see him in the condition he was in back then. I can only imagine how he looks now.

About fifteen years ago, my dad passed away, and Papa stepped in as father figure. He really helped me through that difficult time, and the fact that I treated him with such disdain for no other reason than simply being a teenager. Then, a few years later, I leave town altogether. Another reason I never went back, and what's worse is that every moment I spend away, the harder it is to say I'm sorry.

I'm leaving Friday night, and until then, I'm preparing myself for the worst.

1 Comments:

At 10:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should write that book that was on your list of things to do by 2005. Maybe you missed the deadline (hell, I didn't make a million by 25, but I long stopped caring), but you certainly tell good stories. I randomly stumbled on your blog because of a Technorati search for Fort Smith, which is my home town. I'm assuming the story which I was reading of your reunion with friends was also set there, since I don't know many towns with a Hamburner Bar(n). Sorry to hear things went so badly at the end.

I don't share quite the same hatred for the town that you do, but Tulsa's not the worst place in the world to be. At least the sun tends to shine there in the winter :).

Best of luck, hope things start looking up for you, sounds like you've had a crap run of luck the last couple of months.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home