Friday, August 26, 2005

Blast from the past

I've been waiting two days to hear back from Sid, but it turns out he didn't need to call me back. I ended up getting a call from my old pal Nicky, whom I hadn't spoken to in about nine years. I figured this would have something to do with the ten-year reunion next summer, but it didn't.

As soon as he asked me if I remembered the lists we all wrote out ten years ago, I knew exactly why he was calling. Ten years ago, the beginning of senior year, a bunch of us wrote up lists of everything we wanted to accomplish before...well, what would be this next weekend, Labor Day, 2005.

The plan was for all of us to meet back up and go over our lists, to see how what we've done with our lives. I really don't think it's a good idea to do it, and I didn't need to tell Nicky why. You see, all of us that did this, made this pact when we were best friends, which we weren't by the time graduation came around.

Nicky kept reminding me that it was ten years ago, which I knew...that it was all in the past, which I agreed...and that everyone's looking forward to seeing me there (apparently I was the last holdout), which I doubted. I told him I'd have to think about, which I won't.

As soon as I got off the phone with Nicky, I called the sneaky bastard-I mean, Sid-for a little bitch session about this. He, of all people, should understand why I don't want to go. He told me that it's been ten years, and that I should let it go, sounding like he and Nicky were practicing this little ambush.

I've thought about it, and I'm not going. That's it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home