Sunday, August 21, 2005

Post Numero Uno

Well, the cable internet is working, I've still got 90% of the apartment left to unpack, but that can wait. I managed to get the essentials unpacked first: toothbrush, TV, XBox, iMac, and a fresh change of clothes.

Here in about an hour, I will have been in this apartment officially 24 hours. A fresh start, you could say. Last week, I became a living cliche, having come home to find my fiancee in bed with some other guy. I made my presence known to them, then told the guy he should probably leave, which he did.

I know, you see it all the time in the movies, but in this case, there was no shouting, no "baby, please forgive me", just my fiancee knowing she was busted, and neither one of us saying a word as I packed a bag and went to a hotel.

The truth of the matter is, it has been over for some time. I've been thinking about getting out for some time, but was unsure how she felt. Well, now we know. That night, I checked into the hotel, ordered some Chinese take-out, drank half a bottle of Jaegermeister, and looked through the apartment listings.

Two days later, or five days ago today, I signed my lease, and started moving in. The only words my ex-fiancee (I'm still getting used to that term) and I have spoken to each other about has been about division of property. Who gets this, who gets that, etc. The only completely unresolved issue is: Who gets the ring? I know the rule is that whomever breaks the engagement, forfeits the ring. But in this case, I moved out, I broke it off, because she was cheating on me. Anybody out there have a ruling on this?

It's her house, and a lot of my stuff was jettisoned when I moved in, so packing up has been a snap. She even went to the trouble to pack a few boxes for me. I'm a bit surprised that they don't smell like lighter fluid.

I don't know whay I'm not feeling more hurt over all this. I guess I'm still numb. In a few days, it'll hit, I'm sure. As for right now, I've got to unpack, and I'm out of smokes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home